Isaiah 5 to 9
Isaiah is commissioned by God to call the people to
account.
Account for the way they have set aside God’s demand for
consecration.
Set apart to be clean and separate and the love the LORD
their jealous God, and have nothing else on that throne in their lives.
Ch 6:1 “In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the LORD
seated on a throne, high and exalted and the train of his robe filled the
temple. ….and the seraphs were
singing….”Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty, the whole earth is full of His
glory.”
I wonder how the people could miss God’s Holiness and His
Glory, if it filled the whole earth. I
wonder what amazing things filled their vision and their horizon, that made
God’s Glory pale in comparison. If I say the word “desensitized”, then I get
understanding. Because that happens at
so many turns in our own lives.
Isaiah doesn’t miss it.
Seeing God struck fear into the heart of Isaiah in this vision. And he
was terrified, expecting to die immediately.
Ch 6:5 “ ‘Woe to me!!’ I cried, ‘I am ruined! For I am a
man of unclean lips and I live among a people of unclean lips and my eyes have
seen the King, the LORD Almighty.”’
6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me
With a live coal in his hand which he had taken with
tongs from the altar.
7 with it he touched my mouth and said,
‘See, this has touched your lips:
Your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for. ‘”
8 And I heard the voice of the LORD saying, ‘Whom shall I
send? And who will go for us?
And I said ‘Here I am, send me!’”
I can’t imagine anyone applying for this job.
And yet Isaiah raises his hands and utters a very loud
“Pick me!”
Isaiah is commissioned and sent and goes.
And we get to join Isaiah on this journey and the piece
of God’s Story.
Getting a front row seat to some of his fiercest
confrontations and most difficult messages.
And prophesies.
And this will be a sign to you.
And as the story unwinds.
It happens just as predicted.
And they missed it.
Ch 8: 6 “Because this people has rejected
The gently flowing waters of Shiloah,
And rejoices over Rezin and the son of Remaliah,
7 therefore the LORD is about to bring against them
The mighty floodwaters of the River –
the king of Assyria with all his pomp.”
Ch 8: 16”The LORD spoke to me with His strong hand upon
me, warning me not to follow the way of this people.
17 I will wait for the LORD, who is hiding His face from
the house of Jacob, I will put my trust in Him. “
Ch 9:1 Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom for
those who were in distress. In the past He humbled the land of Zebulun and the
land of Naphtali, but in the future He will honor Galilee of the Gentiles, by
the way of the sea, along with Jordan -
2 The people walking in darkness have seen a great light;
On those living in the land of the shadow of death a
light has dawned.
6 For to us a child is born,
To us a son is given,
And the government will be on his shoulders.
And He will be called
Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God,
Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of his governments and peace there will
be no end.
He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom,
Establishing it and upholding it
With justice and righteousness
From that time on and forever.
The seal of the LORD almighty will accomplish this. “
So there you have it.
The Messiah is coming. In all his
glory and splendor and power and wisdom and strength and glory and honour.
I learned something about all those names today. The NIV Notes tell that each these four
throne names of the Messiah contain two elements. Unlike Immanuel these titles were not like
normal Old Testament personal names.
“Counselor” points to the Messiah as a king who determines up and
carries out a program of action. As
Wonderful counselor, the coming son of David will carry out a royal program
that will cause all the world to marvel.
“Mighty God’ – His divine power as a warrior is stressed. “Everlasting Father” – He will be an
enduring, compassionate provider and protector. “Prince of Peace” – His rule
will bring wholeness and well-being to individuals and to society.
“Yet for all this, his anger is not turned away, his hand
is still upraised. “ Isaiah 9: 12, 17, and 21.
A triple reminder.
Wonderful words and wrathful words.
Side by side.
Isaiah, hand picked to bring it.
Until the whole story comes to pass.
And we get to hold all these words and pages in our own
two hands and read with our own two eyes.
And I hope that our hearts stay soft to it.
That “we will see with our eyes,
And hear with our ears,
And understand with our hearts
And turn and by healed.” (Ch 6:10)
No comments:
Post a Comment