Ezekiel 12 to 16
I find all the visions of God to Ezekiel so interesting and
marvelous.
And all the actions and symbols that follow.
The things Ezekiel acts out in front of the people so that it will cause them to ask questions.
The things Ezekiel acts out in front of the people so that it will cause them to ask questions.
This new way of communicating the same old, same old.
And part of me is just wishing that this would be the day
that they get it! That it gets through
to them.
In todays chapters and reading God continues to reinforce
the message that “I will set My face against them.” And that is so they will
know “I am the LORD.”
Ezekiel is told to “prophesy son of man” against false
prophets and against idolatry and idolaters and against Jerusalem. To lay bare all the lows to which Judah and
Israel and Jerusalem have sunk. The people no longer impressed or moved by
visions and prophesies, true or false.
Ch 13:8 “I am against you! Because of your false words
and lying visions. 5 You have not gone
up to the breaks in your wall to repair it for the house of Israel so that it
will stand firm in the battle on the day of the LORD. 10 Because they lead my people astray,
saying, ‘Peace’ when there is no peace. And because when a flimsy wall is built
they cover it with whitewash. 11 Tell
those who cover it with whitewash that it is going to fall. Rain will come in torrents and I will send
hailstones hurtling down and violent winds will burst forth. “
The wall will be gone and the whitewashing prophets with
it. Instead of speaking convicting
truth and life , they propped Jerusalem up with soft words of peace.
Ch 13: 17 “Now son of man, set your face against the
daughters of your people who prophesy out of their own imaginations. Ensnaring
the lives of the people to spare their own.
19 ‘By lying to the people who listen to lies, you have killed those who
should not have died and have spared those who should not live. 22 You disheartened the people with your
lies, when I brought them no grief, and because of you encouraged the wicked
not to turn from their evil way and so save their lives. 23 There fore you will no longer see false
visions or practise divination. I will
save my people from your hands and you will know that I am the LORD. ‘”
And the long chapter 16 is an allegory of Jerusalem as an
unfaithful and promiscuous woman. Her
conduct and deeds filled with lewdness and perversity. Not only was Jerusalem like a woman
unfaithful to her husband, nor even like a prostitute who would receive
payments for giving herself away. By
prostituting herself to idols, Jerusalem even made payments from the milk and
honey and fine oils and flour and incense that were God’s good gifts to her.
But there is this beautiful vision of God’s care for
Jerusalem, nurturing and growing and doting, from abandoned baby to
womanhood. And after all that happens
and it is all trampled and thrown away, there is God’s Covenant Promise. Ch 16:60 “I will remember the covenant I made
with you in the days of your youth and I will establish an everlasting covenant
with you. 62 So I will establish my
covenant with you and you will know that I am the LORD. 63Then, when I make atonement for you for all
that you have done, you will remember and be ashamed and never again open your
mouth because of your humiliation declares the Sovereign LORD.”
And I wish there was a note on verse 63 so that I could
understand it better.
That after all was said and done. After all the sword, wild beasts, famine, and
plagues had been poured out, that Israel would finally know that God was their
Sovereign and only LORD. There is so
much story here about how God sees Israel and Judah and Jerusalem and about His
love for them. Do we see His longing in
these visions and words and actions and allegories, or His disappointment and
wrath and anger?
I love how through all of today’s chapters of judgement
and punishment that we hear His soft tone in these last verses. Through all the blood and mayhem that
Jerusalem will know her Sovereign LORD, Father, and Saviour in the atonement He
makes for her. That she will remember
the wars He fought for her and the ransoms paid for her freedom.
Sometimes it leaves me speechless
the way the words describe the way it is
and that nothing can be said in defense.
And maybe that’s the point.
To show all the things
that the human mind and heart is capable of,
all the detestable things
that people can justify
and that we have to account for.
And even in all our depravity God meets us.
That He sees through all that we are
and that He sees who He created us to be.
Like the little kicking screaming babies
He picked up and cleaned up.
Treasure for which He paid a great price.
Washing away all the guilt and the shame.
God walking through the whole sordid story of His sweet
and treasured Israel
Just so that we would know the lengths He would go
So that we would know that He is the LORD.
No comments:
Post a Comment