Psalm 81, 88, 92 & 93, 1 Chron 6
Today in the chapter from Chronicles, it was interesting
to read that David appointed and put men in charge of the music in the house of
the LORD. 1 Chron 6:31 “They ministered
with music before the tabernacle, the Tent of Meeting, until Solomon built the
temple of the LORD in Jerusalem.”
God had a home again.
A place where the people could go to be in his Presence. And honour and bring worship and thank to His
Name.
This chapter also lays out the genealogy of Levi, in its
various forms and methods. As a Levite,
it was important to be able to draw and claim your clan lines in order to be
able to serve. Some sang, some made
offerings, and some had temple duties. I
realized today that this also meant you had a place to live, in a Levitical
town set aside by each of the tribes of Israel.
Hmmm. You were, who your father
was, and it determined where you were from, and what you could do with your
life.
I noticed some of the names of the music leaders in the
sub-titles of the Psalms. And I had
never made that connection before.
Writers, psalmists recording the vibe of the nation. The dark days and the bright days. The nights and the dawns. The troubles and the deliverance. The milk and the honey.
Each Psalm such a different song, and heart sound.
Psalm 88 sounds like “hello darkness, my old
friend”. Such a bleak song, about being
forgotten. NIV notes: a song from the
edge of death, of a life lived in the vicinity of the grave, so troubled have
been his years that he seems only to have known the back of God’s Hand.” There
is no expression of hope on these lips.
At all.
But in Psalm 92 we hear “I sing for joy for at the work
of your hands”, v4b. And the other
psalms 81, and 93 sing of God’s strength and majesty. His mightiness and holiness.
What do people hear when they listen to the sound of our
song? Do people judge us by the song
that we sing? What if you could only
sing one song? Would it be a praise
song? A worship song? A lament? Would it be a song of recounting glory, or
one filled with pleas for help, or a gratitude song?
I think I probably would sing a different song
everyday. I would be eclectic.
I would hope that our songs are lovely, speaking out of
the overflow of our hearts – the wellspring of life. I think they would be varied: faith songs,
journey songs, celebration songs, sorrow songs, searching-hard songs,
discovering-joy songs…
The fact that you and I can sing at all on some days is
amazing to me. That God does such a work
and shows up in such a way.
I see you!
I hear your song!
And that we hear Him.
Like sheep respond to their Shepherd’s voice.
Trusting that the Shepherd hears their sound.
That He will feed them til satisfied.
That He will soothe their aches and bruises.
That He will hold them close to His heart.
And that He will watch over them so they can rest safely.
No comments:
Post a Comment