Friday, August 11, 2017

Green leaves

2 Samuel 7, 1 Chronicles 17, Psalm 1, 2, 33, 127 & 132

So back to David’s story for a bit. 2 Samuel 7:1 says that “The LORD gave him rest from all his enemies around him.”  I Chron 17:20 David says “There is none like you, O LORD, no God but You.”  

God’s Promises are like the blessings for covenant obedience.  In these chapters the covenant is not mentioned, but that’s really what’s going on here.  It’s called the Davidic Covenant.  And it is a “royal grant” say the NIV Notes, which indicates that this is granted to David.  Granted without any conditions at all, unlike the curses and blessings that were tied to the covenant made with Moses outside Egypt and at Sinai. 

And we meet Nathan for the first time.  In 2 Sam 7:2, Nathan who boldly voices approval of David’s plans before he received a revelation from the LORD about it. 

I kind of love it when David declares to build a house for the LORD, who turns it back to David and says “the LORD will build a house for you.” (1 Chron 17:10) Other kings of other nations spent time and resources building temples for their deities but God raised rulers in Israel only to lead and shepherd his people.  The NIV Notes continue and say that David’s mission was to fight the LORD’s battles until Israel was securely at rest in the promised land.  

I love that visual of God planting His people firmly in that milk and honey land. 
To David God said in 2 Samuel 7:8:
 “I took you from the pasture,
And from following the flock
To be ruler over my people Israel. 
I have been with you\wherever you have gone.
And I have cut off your enemies before you.
9 Now I will make your name great
Like the names of the greatest men on earth.
10 And I will provide a place
For my people Israel
And I will plant them
So that they will have a home of their own.” 

I love that kind of promise today.  This promise of planting and settling that means an end to wilderness and wandering.  God building the house, choosing Zion for His dwelling, and establishing that throne.  The throne ultimately filled forever by His One and Only Son.  

Psalm 33: 20 “But the eyes of the LORD
Are on those who fear Him,
On those whose hope is in His unfailing love
19 To deliver them from death
And keep them alive in famine.
20 We wait for the LORD;
He is our help and our shield.
21 In Him our hearts rejoice;
For we trust in His Holy Name.
22 May your unfailing love
Rest upon us, O LORD,
Even as we put our Hope in You.”

These ancient words of promises, and faithfulness. 
All the “I will” statements
That rang true then and ring true for us today.
This nation of people chosen by God.  

I think about ancient words and how long the eyes of the LORD have been watching these “goings-on” of earth. 
The kingdoms as they rise and fall.   I think about all these words that were written, and that could be read and heard along the way. About hope that falls and rises.  

I hope we are a people who delight more in God’s Word than we despair in our circumstance.  We will not always succeed but we will always find God when we look for Him. 

Ps 33: 4 “For the Word of the LORD is right and true;
He is faithful in all He does.”

Delighting in God’s Word to be like a
Ps 1 “tree planted by streams of water
Which yields its fruit in season
And whose leave does not wither.”

I love that today too.


I love lots of things!   

No comments:

Post a Comment