Tuesday, September 5, 2017

A New, New Song

Psalms 26, 40, 41, 58, 61, 62 & 64

When I read.  
I read all the words in a row. 
I read once and sometimes again,
Digging a little deeper, and reading the notes, and find a little more.  
Taking some time to reflect. 
A piece of sacred space.  
We talked about that at the very start of this reading journey. 

These words:
Ps 26:2 “Test me, O LORD, and try me,
Examine my heart and my mind.
8 I love the house where You live, O LORD,
The place where your Glory dwells.

PS 40: 1 “I waited patiently for the LORD;
He turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit
Out of the mud and the mire;
He set my feet on a rock
And gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth
A hymn of praise to our GOD.
Many will see and fear
And put their rust in the LORD.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done
The things you planned for us no one can recount to you.

Ps 41:4 “I said, ‘O LORD, have mercy one me;
Heal me for I have sinned against you.
7 All my enemies whisper together against me;
They imagine the worst for me…
9 Even my close friend, whom I trusted,
He who shared my bread, has lifted his heel against me.
20 But You, O LORD, have mercy on me;
11 I know You are pleased with me.
12 In my integrity uphold me,
And set me
In your Presence, forever.

Ps 58 – To the tune of “Do Not Destroy”
10 “The righteous will be glad when they are avenged,
When they bathe their feet in the blood of the wicked.”

Ps 61: From the ends of the earth I call to you.
I call as my heart grows faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
3 You have been my refuge.
4 I long to dwell in your tent forever
And take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

Ps 62:1 “My soul finds rest in God alone.
My salvation comes from Him.
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation.
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
5 Find rest
O my soul in God alone;
My Hope comes from Him.
6 I will never be shaken.
8 Trust in Him
At all times, O people
Pour out your hearts to Him
For God is your refuge.
10 Though your riches increase
Do not set your hear on them.
11 One thing God has spoken
Two things have I heard
That you, O God, are strong
And that you, O LORD are loving.

Psalm 64
Hear me,
Protect me,
Hide me,
From that noisy crowd
From tongues like swords
From words like flaming arrows
From sudden fearless ambush shots
From evil plans and snares
And unjust plots and cunning hearts and minds.

Of all these words in this grouping of Psalms the cries for protection and mercy speak loudest to my heart today.  For no reason, other than what they say about David’s journey.  His life as a leader.  Life at the top and at the bottom.   And the words I love the most are the words spoken from this Psalmist’s heart to his soul.  

Do you love his self talk? 

As a king, David is such a public figure.  And if you’ve been part of serving a public institution, you’ve been privy to the pressures of popular opinion.  Both the encouragements and the criticisms.

I love the narrative of what that feels like.  And the calling on God’s Mercy when the burden is heavy and real.  When people are vindictive and cruel and malicious to David and he wants to run away.  Public opinion often rules and people don’t look for the heart and the soul behind the persona.   Intentions are so good and noble. But people judge actions not intentions.

I love the self talk in all of this. 
And I want to plaster it on my wall,
my window sill,
and hang it from the mirror in my car. 
“Find rest O my soul!”

Public opinion rules
And trusted friends leave
But God is a rock
Who does not change
And even as the waters rise
He is the Rock higher than I.

I’m not sure there are specific verses for every pang and pain we feel with our hearts and our souls. Or specific words of guidance for our footsteps.
“But one thing God has spoken
Two things have I heard.
That you, O God, are strong.
And that you, O LORD, are loving.” Ps 62:11

We are encouraged to pour out our hearts to GOD, who can handle our words.

He will put a new song in our mouth,

Because He will hold our hearts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment