Psalm 108 & 109
Ps 108:1 “My heart is steadfast, O God,
I will sing and make music
With all my soul
4 For great is your love
Higher than the heavens
Your faithfulness reaches to the skies.
5 Be exalted O God
Above the heavens
And let your glory be
Over all the earth.”
When I read Ps 108 I hear the Mercy Me song "How
Great Is Your Love". I love it that
they would put this psalm to music, almost word for word. The message of God's Word alive and loud,
awakening their harps and lyres.
In contrast Psalm 109 is a Psalm of suffering at the
hands of someone else, of being singled and sought out for harm. No one seems to write songs about that kind
of thing, but there are lots of blog posts out there, devoted to walking
through this piece of wilderness.
Because community is messy.
And yet the call to love one another deeply is
strong.
Loving deeply.
Loving the difficult people.
Steadfastly.
Define steadfast.
Is my heart steadfast?
If it means showing up everyday, then yes.
And yet I think I show up a bit fearful.
It’s easy to throw your heart open to heaven, but harder
to throw it open to community. It is safe to show the softness and
vulnerability to my small world around me, carefully selected and curated. I
think I guard my heart more today than ever.
I’m convicted because we were created for community, and
for us to make sing and make music with our hearts and our souls we have to
allow God’s breath to blow through us and give sound to our song. Like breath
blowing through an instrument. If it
didn’t have an outlet, it would become a balloon that would just continue to
fill up. Till it explodes.
So I wonder where we find the balance.
Between vulnerability and safety.
A friend of mine passed away a few months ago.
He was elderly and didn’t mind sharing his views about
life.
He taught me a lot about what it takes to love the family
of God.
He taught me what long love looks like, and hard love.
And yet it was easy because it just happened.
And I miss him a lot.
Which shows that even though it was hard I still have a
lot left to give.
Even when I worry that it will cost too much.
And yet I will not bring a sacrifice that cost me
nothing.
That’s the fine line.
Ps 109:22 ”I am poor and needy and sometimes my heart is
wounded within me.”
But so is everyone else’s.
Let’s hang onto that today.
No comments:
Post a Comment