Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Temple Building

1 Kings 5 & 6, 2 Chronicles 2 & 3

There are 480 years that pass between the Exodus and the building of the temple in Jerusalem.   480 technical years that translate to 12 generations: each generation spanning 40 years. 

These 4 chapters describe in detail the construction of the Temple.  Dazzling and ornate.  Magnificent and immense. 

The accounts are similar and different.  I love the good relationship between Solomon and Hiram and the contract set between them for wood and craftsmen.  A relationship that dates back to David’s times.   Relationships are important and valuable, both economically and politically.  It is interesting that in the book of Kings, Hiram initiates the correspondence but the Chronicler omits that and adds additional details, to reflect his concern/focus on the temple and worship. (NIV Notes) He makes this about honoring God and not about politics or alliances or a man’s accomplishment.

There is enough description for artists to render scale models of the temple.  There is so much detail, and I always notice something new when I read this stretch. I am sometimes tempted to skim, but that’s hard for a details person!  It makes me wish there was such vivid detail about the Garden of Eden and heaven.

The last time I read these descriptions I learned about the 15 foot carved cherubim in the inner sanctuary. (2 Kings 6:23, 2 Chr 3: 10 to 13) We always imagine the cherubim on the cover of the ark with their wings touching over their heads.  But this other pair, in the Most Holy Place, stand beside each other with their wings spread out, touching in the middle, and touching the temple wall on either side.   20 cubits (30feet!) from the outer tip of one, to the outer tip of the other.  Carved out of Olive wood.  These immense guards.  So similar to the angel army depictions in Joshua. 

I’d never noticed that there are also cherubim woven into the curtain that separates the Most Holy Place from the Holy Place. In my minds eye, it was always a big grey curtain, that was soft as chenille.   But 1 Chron 3:14 states: “He made the curtain of blue, purple and crimson yarn and fine linen, with cherubim worked into it.”  Yarn and Linen. Not velvet or chenille.   And not grey.  But beautiful and regal and bright and colourful. 

The temple is patterned after the tabernacle with measurements and dimensions almost doubled in size.   The temple would be God’s home.  The Place for His Name.   A place that would become the centre of Israel’s worship, and pilgrimage.   A very new age dawns.   One central dwelling.  One central place for offerings for fellowship, and atonement.   A new way of life and Solomon is reminded of God’s Promises.   1 Kings 6:11 “And the Word of the LORD came to Solomon. 12 ‘As for this temple you are building, if you follow my decrees, carry out my regulations and keep all my commands and obey them, I will fulfill through you the promise I gave to your father David. 13 And I will live among the Israelites and will not abandon my people.’ 14 So Solomon built the temple and completed it.  38 He spent seven years building it.” 

God’s Promises for His House and His People.   And the blessings that come. 

A Temple for the Name of the LORD.   This most Holy Name.   Solomon said: 2 Chron 2:5 “This temple I am going to build will be great because our God is greater than all other gods. 6 But who is able to build a temple for Him, since the heaves, even the highest heavens, cannot contain Him.  Who then am I?” 

Built on Mount Moriah.   2 Chron 3:1 “Then Solomon began to build the temple of the LORD in Jerusalem on Mount Moriah, where the LORD had appeared to his father David.  It was on the threshing floor of Araunah, the Jebusite, the place proved by David.”

The NIV notes remind us that Abraham was commanded to offer Isaac on Mount Moriah.   And that Mount Moriah, is named by Abraham “The Lord Will Provide”.  All these coincidental references.   Mount Moriah, Mount Zion, Jerusalem.  

And not that many generations later, these are the hills on which Jesus will walk, and teach, and where He gives His Life. The ultimate, only, and final sacrifice. Once for all.   For all our stories “The LORD will provide.”


No comments:

Post a Comment