Thursday, October 26, 2017

Who Has Seen The Wind?

Ecclesiastes 1 to 6
Who even writes this stuff?

There is a case for Solomon being the author, where there is a reference to a father on the throne and mention of Jerusalem.  And yet there are no events mentioned in these writings that would confirm its placement in history or an era. There are also references to the writer being a subject as opposed to a monarch.  But…nothing conclusive.

The NIV Notes. “With his life largely behind him, the author takes stock of the world as he has experienced it between the horizons of birth and death- the latter a horizon beyond which man cannot see.  The world is seen as full of enigmas, the greatest of which is man himself. It’s very much about the limitations of wisdom, even in a godly person.  It cannot find out the larger purposes of God, or the ultimate meaning of life. “

So lets wrestle a bit. 
With the meaning of life
And about whether it all is vanity, a chasing after the wind.
Wrestling with meaningfulness, and meaninglessness.
Even though the word meaningless is mentioned over 35 times. 
It could be very easy to write it all off as futile.
Don’t do it!

I kind of love that this book sometimes reads like an academic study of life and wisdom.  Complete with testing, theories, and hypotheses.  That this is a life long search that sometimes finds loose ends and sometimes a conclusion.  But that so much is learned in the searching.  That life has worth, value and meaning. And that we mustn’t set our eyes so far on the horizon that we miss whatever is right on the path before us.  

And I always wonder about what there is to glean in this search, for the cynic, the pessimist, and the optimist.  What filter do we read through?  What filter does the writer use?

Ch 1:2 “Meaningless! Meaningless! Says the Teacher. 
Utterly meaningless.
Everything is meaningless.”

NIV notes. “The basic thrust of Ecclesiastes is that all of life is meaningless, useless, hollow, futile and vain if it is not rightly related to God. That human effort appears to be without benefit or purpose. Only when based on God and His Word is life worthwhile. “

Ch 1:12 “I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem.  13 I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven.  What a heavy burden God has laid on men!!”
Ch2:1 “I thought in my heart, “Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good.”  But that also proved to be meaningless. 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly – my mind still guiding me with wisdom.  I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.”
Ch 2: 10 “I denied myself nothing my eyes desired; I refused my heart no pleasure.  My heart took delight in all my work, and this was the reward for all my labor.  11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done and what I had to toiled to achieve, everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind; nothing was gained under the sun.

Ch 2:17 “So I hated life…18 I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. “

So we wrestle, and we watch this writer wrestle.

In chapter 3 we come across that well-known passage that there is a time of everything.   This is something the writer has discovered.   “A time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven (Ch 3:1) We read that in so many different contexts, but it’s the verses that follow that are laden with meaning and beauty, and yet we so rarely read this summary.   And it has so much fuel for our thirst and hunger and love for life and work.  

Ch 3:9 “What does the worker gain from his toil? 
10 I have seen the burden God has laid on men. 
11 He has made everything beautiful in its time.
12 He has also set eternity in the hearts of men;
Yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. 
12 Know there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. 
13 That everyone may eat and drink,
And find satisfaction in all his toil – this is the gift of God. 
14 I know that everything God does will endure forever;
 Nothing can be added to it and nothing taken from it. 
God does it so men will revere him.  “

I wonder why don’t we hear that more often?  About finding the simple joy of satisfaction in work and in life. And the value of simple contentment.  Or has life become such that contentment and heart-rest is elusive?    I love how the NIV notes put it.  “God’s beautiful but tantalizing world is too big for us, yet its satisfactions are too small.  Since we were made for eternity the things of time cannot fully and permanently satisfy. “

Do you love that paradox?  Of life being simultaneously too big and too small.

And I love the Case for Togetherness!  Reinforcing our need for community and relationship.  
Ch 4: 9 “Two are better than one,
Because they have a good return for their work;
10 If one falls down,
His friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
And has no one to help him up!
12 Though one may be overpowered,
Two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.”

Ch 5:1 Guard your steps when you go to the house of God.  God near to listen rather than to offer the sacrifice of fools. 2 Do not be quick with your mouth,
Do not be hasty in your heart
To utter anything before God.
God is in heaven,
And you are on earth,
So let your words be few.
7 Much dreaming and many words are meaningless.
Therefore stand in awe of God.”

Ch 5:18 Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him- for this is his lot.
19 Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work-this is a gift from God.  20 He seldom reflects on the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with gladness of heart. “

I hope today that we find our hearts occupied. 
Occupied with gladness and contentment.  
Moments of rest and deep breaths.  

In this long and this short life.  
That we will feel the Spirit moving in us and our circles

That this walk is not just a chasing after the wind.   

No comments:

Post a Comment