Friday, April 28, 2017

First Gratitudes

Deuteronomy 24, 25, 26 & 27
I don’t think I understand enough of the cultural context to fully understand some of the regulations in these chapters and verses about miscellaneous laws.  The NIV study notes don’t divulge a lot either. So we skim a little and get a deeper sense of the spirit of the law, but not so much of the letter of it today.

These chapters do speak directly to the covenant relationship between God and Israel, complete with tithing and first fruits talk. Declaring out loud with an offering basket in hand filled with sacred portions that He is indeed the LORD their God.

There is something that happens,
A gratitude that takes hold,
Between the giving of a Promise
And the work
And the walk
And the dark nights
Toward the time and the place
Where Hope dawns
And it is fulfilled.

The fulfillment of a hope
The expectation
And anticipation,
The steps of faith,
The placing of trust
The surrender of self-reliance
To come with open hands
The results
The manifestation of the
Things hoped for
And giving them back to God.

I wonder what that first harvest in the Promised Land must have been like.
That first trip to the place God chose make the dwelling place for His Name.

Looking up at the heavens,
And then back down at your full basket.
Filled with milk and cheese and butter,
Cheese and bread and honey.
And melons and garlic.
The realization
That Israel’s God,
Your God,
Is the Great I AM.

Ch 26:5 “Look down from heaven
Your Holy dwelling place
And bless your people Israel
And the land
You have given us
As Your promised
To our forefathers
A land flowing with milk and honey.

Tasting
And seeing
God’s goodness.

The work of trusting God
With all your heart
And with all your soul
Holding fast
And walking in all His Ways.

Radiant.
Rest.
Rejoicing.

I see you!
I hear you!
You are mine!

Precious.
Beloved.


No comments:

Post a Comment