Deuteronomy 8 to 11
I love how you sometimes read along a random rambling
passage and stumble over a verse you know very well. It’s like finding
something in its natural context or habitat.
Up until now
We have become familiar
with Israel’s established pattern of rebellion.
This section repeats
many times,
so many instances,
of Moses spending
40 days
and 40 nights
on the mountain
on his knees.
Over and over
God reminds
Moses reminds
Don’t forget the LORD your God
Remember
Tell your children
Obey
Teach
Hold fast
Walk
But isn’t that my pattern sometimes?
That I forget?
That I trip up?
Even while my hands are full of manna?
As much as this story assures and affirms
It simultaneously convicts.
And yet I Hope
I always have Hope.
Ch8:2 “Remember how
The LORD your God led you
All the way in the desert
These 40 years
To humble you
and to test you
in order to know
what was in your heart
whether or not
you would keep his commands.
3 He humbled you
Causing you to hunger
And then feeding you with manna,
Which neither you
Nor your fathers had known,
To teach you
That man does not live
On bread alone
But on every Word
That comes from the mouth of God.”
Observe His commands
Walk in His ways
And revere His Name.
So I read
And back track
Because I don’t want to forget
I reread
I write out these words
On my journal pages
With my pencil
These Words from God’s mouth
Like manna.
And I have to believe
That it is feeding
Something deep and hungering in me
That sustains my heart and my soul.
Water from the fountain
In a vast and dreadful desert
This thirsty and waterless land
That we come through sometimes
On our way to a good, good place.
Into God’s abundance
Because He promised.
Ch 10:12 “And now,
O Israel,
What does the LORD your God ask of you
But to FEAR
The LORD your God
To WALK in all His ways,
To LOVE Him
To SERVE Him
With all your heart
And with all your soul.
Ch11:18 To FIX these Words in your hearts and minds.
CH 10:20 and to HOLD FAST to Him.
21 He is your God.
He is your praise.”
Ch 10:15 “He has set His affection on you
And He chose you.”
No comments:
Post a Comment