Deuteronomy 17 to 19
There is a very clear intention
Stated in these chapters
About not tolerating
Any evil.
None.
Not even a little.
The people are told
Over and over
That it must be purged
From among them.
This seems so extreme.
This perfect standard of holiness and purity.
And yet
You and I would find it
Absurd
If the Bible stated
that it would be okay
To tolerate a little bit of evil.
There is a perfect impossible standard
And Israel
And you and I…?
We could never stand up under it.
Until Grace.
Unless Grace.
Amazing Grace.
God did not leave His People to find this perfect way
without a guide or to wander about aimlessly.
God gave prophets and put His Words in their mouths (Ch
18:18) I love that!
As much talk
As there is about
Putting to death
And stoning people
And purging evil
There is this call to love
To Love the LORD your God
With all your heart
And with all your soul
And with all your strength and mind.
And to walk in all His Ways
And not to turn to left or to the right.
To keep the eyes of my heart focused solely on Him.
To be busy
Consumed
With giving my own first-fruits
And not someone else’s
To God
My offerings
Imperfect
Broken, honest pieces
Incomplete without His Grace.
And I keep coming to this place.
This piece of sacred ground
Where I reach for God’s Promises
Of Grace
And of Mercy
Knowing who I am
And who I am not
In the context of fully belonging to God
No comments:
Post a Comment