Deuteronomy 1 to 3
Deuteronomy means “repetition of the law” in Greek and
Latin.
In Hebrew this book is called “ellen haddebarim” which
means “These are the words.”
You know I love words.
Deuteronomy finds Israel on the edge.
We see Moses winding down
Gathering his thoughts and making a final address or two
or six.
Reminding this nation to keep the covenant fresh.
Preparing to pass the leadership mantle.
I feel like we are about to do some review
As we say goodbye to Moses.
Will we get some more insight?
A more intimate reflection and perspective?
A behind the scenes peek?
If Moses wrote a blog,
I wonder if these are some of the thoughts he might
share.
Some of his heart and soul talk.
Notes on not being afraid, or discouraged or terrified.
Or things he might say in an Oprah interview.
I would love to hear how he was impacted by this story
that he was called into
from burning bush to border crossing
Watching God lead and carry this nation
As a father carries a son or daughter
All the way until they reached this place
Moses pointing out the ways God is faithful as if that
was necessary.
All the way my Saviour leads me…
Through all the exploring and conquest and conquering.
Talking cities as places to dwell
Inheritance
Driving out inhabitants
Keeping assets and livestock and plunder
And offering it back to God.
I can’t imagine the magnitude of this kind of gift and
promise
and those kinds of commands.
I get a little bit stuck on the image of refugees
And how no power on earth could stand by and allow a
nation to do this today.
Especially not in the name of holy wars.
God is in the habit of giving indescribable gifts.
He sent Jesus.
Without Jesus our stories would not be the same.
God wrote Jesus into our stories
And changed our endings forever.
Without Jesus we would be the refugees
With no place to call home
And with no place to go
Not belonging anywhere or to anyone.
All the way my Saviour leads me…
No comments:
Post a Comment