Joshua 11, 12, 13 & 14
All the trivial things about kingdoms and government and
boundaries.
Ch 11:15 “ As the LORD commanded his servant Moses,
So Moses commanded Joshua.
And Joshua did it;
He left nothing undone
Of all that the LORD
Commanded Moses,
18 Joshua waged war…..
…for a long time.
23 He took the entire land
Just as the LORD
Had directed Moses
And He gave it as an inheritance
To Israel
According to their tribal divisions.
Then the land had rest from war.
Ch 13:1 “When Joshua was old and well advanced in years,
the LORD said to him. “You are old and
there are still very large areas of land to be taken.”
And in chapter 14 Caleb pops back into the story.
Also a good and faithful servant.
Another quiet confident guy.
He has quietly aged and walked with Israel these 40
years.
I wonder how it felt,
Knowing “What could have been?” for 40 years.
Eating manna instead of giant grape clusters.
I wonder if any of his talk was sprinkled with bitterness
Or if he kept right on dreaming
And telling stories of what’s coming
Raising up a whole new generation
Of hungry, eager, God fearing warriors.
Ch 14:7 “I followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly. I was
40 years old when Moses the servant of the LORD sent me to explore the
land. And I brought him back a report
according to my own convictions. 8 But my brothers who went up with me, made
the hearts of the people melt with fear.
I however, followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly. 9 So on the day, Moses swore to me, ‘The land
on which your feet have walked will be your inheritance and that of your
children forever, because you have followed the LORD my God wholeheartedly.’ 11
So here I am today, 85 years old! I am
still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out. I am just as vigorous to
out in battle now as I was then. 13 Then
Joshua blessed Caleb and gave him Hebron because he followed the LORD
wholeheartedly.”
Wholehearted.
And then the land had rest from war.
Peace.
Peace on earth.
I wonder you keep walking and how you keep fellowship in a
community that ignored your reports and your words and your ideas. Can you humbly lay those down and choke down
the manna?
When I see Caleb today, I see a man who quietly put one
foot in front of the other. And some
days that is how our own walk feels. Not
glorious, or glamorous. But slow and
steady. And Joshua blessed Caleb. He must have been so glad to have such a
friend in the ranks.
I’m so thankful for my slow and steady friends
today.
The ones who stick around for the hard times and hold
tight when the ride gets oh so rough.
Until we have rest on every side and we can let our
breath out.
The slow exhale of relief and gratitude.
No comments:
Post a Comment