Friday, May 5, 2017

Wet Feet

Joshua 3 and 4
I was thinking about the cultural context of history the other day.
It’s hard to stay in the shoes of the Israelites when we are walking with the shepherds toward Advent! 

Joshua, the warrior, leading this people into Canaan. With God’s blessing on him.  Ch 3:7 “Today I will begin to exalt you in the eyes of all Israel, so they may know that I am with you, as I was with Moses.”  Ch4:4 “…and they revered him all the days of his life, just as they revered [Moses].”

Joshua, the warrior.
Military strategist
Walking with the commander of God’s Angel Armies.

And still needing to lead this people. 

I really love the scene as the march begins. 
God instructing Joshua to tell the priests who carry the ark “When you reach the edge of the Jordan’s waters, go and stand in the river.”  

Get your feet wet! 

I love that!

Without being privy to the Word of God, would you and I go and walk into the raging river, completely sure that we will not be swept away?   Trusting fully that God will see us safely through? 
Go and get your feet wet,
Trust me,
I will take care of you. 
Don’t be afraid
Don’t be discouraged.

And then this:
Ch3:9 “Come here and listen
to the Words of the LORD your God.
10 This is how you will know
That the LIVING God is among you….”

The LIVING God. 

Engaged then
And engaged today. 

The NIV Notes say that by opening the way through the Jordan at flood stage, the LORD would show both Israel and Canaan that He is LORD over the waters, as He was at the Red Sea, as He was at Noah’s flood, and as He was during Creation.  Not Baal, whom many served. He is able to establish His own order in this world. 

LORD and Master over the water. 
Over the raging rivers
Deep salty oceans
And over our troubled seas

In the grand scheme of things He really doesn’t need us or Israel to make His Kingdom break into this world, but He chooses to do it through us.

And after the crossing:
Ch4:2 “Choose twelve men
From among the people,
One from each tribe
And tell them
To take up twelve stones
From the middle of the Jordan
From right where the priests stood
And carry them over with you
And put them down
At the place where you stay tonight.
These stones
are to be a memorial
to the people of Israel forever.

LORD and Master over the water.
I love this next part.
I really love this next part a lot.

Ch5:9 “Today I have rolled away the disgrace of Egypt from you.”

I hadn’t noticed that verse before. 
I didn’t realize that there was a kind of shame following them.
The reputation of God’s people
Now rolled away.
Their national identity
And their cultural significance
Restored when they crossed the Jordan.

I wonder if that happens to us
And if that happens in our stories too.
Where there are moments of regret
And of shame in our stories.
And that a day comes
When God rolls away
The disgrace we feel we walk under.
There is always more to the story.
Always. 

Jeremiah talks about God’s plans for hope and a future.
The Living God
Who holds us in His Almighty Right Hand.

I know that is always true. 
Somedays I just need to hear it and say it out loud.


Love that today!

No comments:

Post a Comment