Joshua 1 and 2, Psalm 105
I learned some new perspectives on this whole journey
when I read the introduction to Joshua in my NIV study Bible. I love that brief 3 or 4 pages of prologue,
that is like a “Coles Notes” on the background of a book.
It’s so rich.
Like really dark chocolate.
It tastes different than Deuteronomy.
Joshua is a different kind of story.
Joshua was a different type of man.
The story follows Israel out of the desert into the land
promised to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It is the story of conquest, and
fulfillment for the people of God. The
settling and establishment of Israel. Of God’s Kingdom breaking into the world.
And then I read something I’d never thought of before,
and I think it’s going to change the way I read the rest of this story. The NIV notes say that the conquered land
itself would not become Israel’s national possession by right of conquest but
it belonged to the LORD.
So the land
Belonging to the LORD
Had to be cleansed
Of all the remnants of paganism.
Joshua is not an epic account
Of Israel’s heroic generation
Stepping up to the plate
To finish
What their fathers
Could not start.
It is not the story of Israel’s conquest of Canaan.
It is the story of how God,
To whom the whole world belongs,
Commissioning His People
Under His servant Joshua
To take Canaan
In His Name
Out of the hands of the idolatrous Canaanites.
It’s the story of how He helped them in this enterprise
And gave them “conditional tenancy”
In this land
As a fulfillment of an ancient covenant pledge.
So this conquest
Of Israel into Canaan
Is a holy war
In pursuit of holiness
For the place
In which God will dwell among His People.
I love that we have been catching glimpses of Joshua
throughout Moses’ leadership. This
Joshua who has been shadowing Moses for all those 40 years of desert
wandering. This Joshua now slips into
Moses sandals.
And God speaks to Joshua and says: Joshua Ch 1:3 “ I will
give you every place where you set your foot.”
So that is the first Word. I
wonder how you walk into the unknown like that, when God has spoken that kind
of outcome already? How does that set the
stage for your leadership debut?
Joshua,
who had already seen the land and its inhabitants,
felt Israel could easily take hold of it.
Yet the nation had melted with fear.
The irony.
We hear from Rahab.
When she gives shelter to two spies in Jericho.
Ch 2: 11 “When the people heard of it (The Israelites
coming through the Red Sea and Egypt swept away in it)
Our hearts melted
And everyone’s courage failed
Because of you
For the LORD your God
Is God of heaven above
And on the earth below.”
The irony….
That the Canaanite people
Were also shaking
Shaken by Who was with Israel.
The God of Angel Armies.
When Israel was trusting in its own armies.
And had a meltdown of her own.
So that’s how Joshua is walking.
On this holy quest
For God
Who is completely going before him.
I’m so excited about what that means for our stories.
Especially when we are shaking
And shaken.
And some of us are shaking today.
That God is going to put on a show
Like we’ve never seen before.
We can walk too,
In these places where we set our feet.
These places that belong to God.
Places where God calls us to get our feet wet.
Walk with Me…..
No comments:
Post a Comment