Friday, June 16, 2017

Bits & Pieces

1 Samuel 13 & 14

I find myself focusing on these little steps and stitches instead of picking up the whole thread of the story.  That happens in other parts of life too.  Details. Details.  Seeing all the moving parts and all the bits that are dear to me and important. Moving slowly some days, instead of forging ahead.  

I wonder what it was like for Israel in the Pre-Saul days.
When it was hard to move on.  
I wonder if they felt like they were flailing away without a visible leader.
Localized leaders who held court under certain trees, in certain towns.  
This does not seem like organized government or leadership. 
Yet individuals responded to God’s individual sovereign call on their lives. 
Serving where God had placed them.  

I wonder if it would be hard for them to pick up their ancestral threads and hold to the holy teachings and ancient words when it seems like there was no reason to journey to the tabernacle.   Like little baby Ichabod, who is named for the departure of Glory from Israel.  (Ch 4:21, 22)


It would be easy to want a king, like your neighbours.   A figure head who could make all the decisions.  Someone to follow and obey.   The closest thing they had to a leader was Samuel, and they asked Samuel to make it happen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment