I know, we already covered Ruth.
But I love the quiet of the car
When I’m driving
Or otherwise unoccupied.
When thoughts and things come out
Loud and clear
Sometimes something someone said or did
Or something I read
And this story just tumbled and tumbled.
I love how this collection of chapters is called Ruth
But how it’s really about Naomi.
This story of family
Of mothers and sons and daughters in law.
Of hunger and famine and scarcity
And finding enough
And discovering abundance and plenty.
It feels like a soft story
With more of a Jane Austen feel
Than Charles Dickens.
So much propriety.
It shows a lot about loyalty
And love
And hanging onto each other
Through thick and thin.
Ch 1 “Where you go I will go,
And where you stay I will stay.
Your people will be my people
And your God my God.”
I will make your homeland
My homeland.
Til they bury me beside you.
I hope this single story was not an isolated occurrence
throughout Israel. Not an exception in
those seemingly dark days. This story
of putting one foot in front of the other moving from emptiness to fullness,
from bitterness to hope. Naomi’s heart dry as a week-old bread crust. I think I would want to go home, and stay
home, and curl up into a fetal position.
But she didn’t. So much courage.
Today, in these cold, short daylight days I love a warm
story. One that talks about the kindness
between people in a world where we don’t always have time, or take time for the
long parts of life and love and relationship.
I think this story is unexpected. Maybe it doesn’t coincide with our
presuppositions of what life might be like in a family of mixed cultures. The
typical future for a couple of widows living in a foreign land with no one to
look out for them would be so bleak and bare.
But God rewrites the whole story.
He rewrites stories everyday.
Taking stories
to completely different destinations
than the road signs indicate.
We can hold onto Hope.
Letting go of today for God’s tomorrow.
It’s so hard to rethink the impossible.
God’s Plan instead of ours.
No comments:
Post a Comment