Monday, June 5, 2017

So Much Detail

1 Samuel 1

I get excited when I start something new. 
I love beginnings so much more than endings.   

The book of Ruth already anticipates David and Jesus.  But first….Samuel, and then Saul.  So many miles to go before David.  So many people to meet and so many changes in life and settling.  

I love these stories.
I love lots of things.
The way we get to watch this growth spurt of Israel.  
This huge transition.

Last fall I went to a seminar about life and living.   We discussed how life takes us to certain places and how the tools that served us to get to today don’t necessarily work to take us to the next place we need to go.

Transition. 

Will the tools that brought Israel through the desert serve her here in this land, with good soil under her feet instead of shifting sand?    God dwelling there among His People in a tent city and here with the tabernacle set up at Shiloh.  

I’ve read these opening chapters a few times and I get bogged down in the details and in the history.  So interesting, and so much to learn in the notes.

The NIV notes: “In a book dealing for the most part with the reign of Israel’s first two kings, Saul & David, it is significant that the author does not include a birth narrative of either of these two men, but opens with the birth of their forerunner, anointer, and prophet Samuel.  This in itself accentuates the importance the author attaches to Samuel’s role in the events that follow.”

Before we even meet Samuel we meet his dad and his mom.   Elkanah a dutiful Israelite making his annual pilgrimages to worship God Almighty, and Hannah, his faithful wife, knowing she could cry her tears of longing at the tabernacle in God’s Presence.   

We meet Eli sitting in his chair, watching Hannah.  Eli with his own troubles and sadnesses over his wicked sons Hophni and Phinehas. 

Side by side we see those who seek and serve God and those who serve themselves.   A contrast in searching and seeking, in giving and taking, and in offering and receiving.    Humility and arrogance.  

In all of this God has a plan.  
And Israel is still God’s covenant people.
Even where they don’t hold up their end of the bargain.  
So many pieces of the story that show so many different pieces of Israel.
Israel growing and changing.  
Starting to put down roots.

And this very first story of this praying and believing woman so absolutely sure that God sees her and hears her in her anguish and grief. Ch 1:15 “..pouring out [her] soul to the LORD.”  I love that this morning.   


No comments:

Post a Comment