Friday, June 23, 2017

When You Sing Deep Songs

Psalms 7,27,31,34 & 52
Before even reading these lyrics
I am excited to read the words of David.
Words he penned while he was waiting.
Waiting and hiding.
Desolate, isolated, solitary.
Waiting and safe.

David alone with God.
These very sacred moments

David journaling?

There is nothing quite like a song
To convey mood and offer a glimpse
Into the deepest part of someone’s heart and soul.
Even where songs merely skim the surface of creative emotion.

Today’s reading consists of only Psalms.
Psalms which indicate in their introductions in the study notes that David wrote them during his time on the run.

David’s life is such an open book.
He writes with such honesty and in the middle of this story we feel the depth of his fear and the strength of his confidence in God for deliverance.  We get a sense of the value of David’s hope and what it costs him to honour God with his life.   Sitting in the desert with nothing but time and a harp. 

I love listening to psalms and hymns today and fully believe that God is speaking in the hearts and souls and minds of Christian artists today.   Modern psalmists.  

So, I love reading these psalms and hymns. 
Words that convey emotion: fear, sadness, despair, loneliness, joy, gratitude, confidence, trust.   These threads of David’s life song.  Threads that indicate that you and I are not that different.  David is confident even in hiding that God is holding him.

He sees me!
He hears me!

He’s coming for me!

Threads that help me recognize God’s Story.  The way that God writes David into His Story is the way that God is present in our lives and writes us into His Story today.   

Today. 
You and I. 
Walking the face of the earth.  


No comments:

Post a Comment