1 Samuel 4, 5 & 6
Such a dry time and the people didn’t hunger for God or
His Word.
I think we all go through times like that.
And I’m reminded that I’m not that different from
Israel.
Why is that I know, and still don’t always do something
about it?
And I love it that God keeps calling and pursuing us!
Samuel walked his talk during the time of the judges for
about 20 years. His talk captivated all
Israel from the North to the South while the priesthood of Eli was winding down
and that of Hophni and Phinehas would soon end. Eli had grown fat on the choice portions of
Israel’s offerings and his sons grew more corrupt and irreverent by the
day.
And then the day came that Israel was defeated yet again
by the Philistines. The elders elected
to send the ark of the LORD’s covenant into battle. And no one stopped them! As if the notions and precepts of holiness
and consecration had fallen completely out of practice. That the power of the LORD’s presence was
tied to the object and not to God’s will and favor.
No one stopped them or restrained themselves.
Even the priesthood doing as it saw fit,
accompanying the ark into battle.
Unsteady leadership.
Israel is defeated and the ark is lost.
It falls into enemy hands.
And it causes Eli to fall off his chair by the road.
More heart sick over the ark than his boys.
The ark brings sickness and pestilence to every enemy
city.
The ark is shuffled from city to city and ultimately
shipped back to the Levitical town of Beth Shemesh.
On a cart pulled by two cows that had recently
calved.
Along with gold tumors and gold rats.
Symbols of plague and pestilence.
And the ark comes to rest in relative obscurity at the
home of Abinadab.
At Kiriath Jearim.
For about 20 years.
I wonder why it wasn’t taken back to Shiloh, to the
tabernacle?
I wonder why Samuel wasn’t living still in the temple?
And Samuel calls the people back to God.
Leading them like the other judges,
springing up here and there,
during times of trouble.
And God held back the Philistines
during Samuel’s lifetime.
And there was some measure of peace.
Peace seems so easy and so elusive.
No comments:
Post a Comment