Monday, February 13, 2017

A Bit of Ranting

Job 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9

Once the friends start talking…
They leave no stone unturned.
They take their theology very seriously.

Very common to their tradition Job’s friends try to help him determine what he could possibly have done wrong to deserve the calamity that has befallen him. 

To them, he was pious, holy, and wise…probably very much like they themselves. But there must be some secret sin for which he is being punished.   Because none of this could possibly have happened if Job was completely innocent.
God must be correcting him for something and he should be thankful for that. 
And that Job is resentful and needs to humble himself and accept God’s correction.

I wonder if I ever sound like that?
Do I say things that I think are helpful to someone who is hurting?
Not knowing or having any idea about their big picture?

It makes me wonder about the value of quiet arm-in-arm walking.

Job asks his friends to take it all back.
They have not really provided any comfort.
Nor added much value to the thought process that he is already conducting.
But they are there. 

The Study Notes talk about Job persevering….but in Chapter 9 (&10) he is not very patient!

I love it that Job cries out to God.
In all the deep parts of his heart and soul he finds words to articulate his pain, frustration, bitterness, and bewilderment.  He wonders if it would be better for his days to come to an end.
He also has beautiful words about God’s greatness. 
In the same breaths. 

It reminds me that there are words in every season and that God can certainly handle whatever we may dish out.
God is very aware of the human condition.

Jesus lived it out here on earth.
Walking dark Gethsemane roads
Where fig and olive trees did not even flower.

But God had Job sized up just right. 
Job knows he is not sinless,
And he does not abandon God.

The intro to Job mentions that this is the first cycle of speeches between Job and his friends. 
There is still a lot of talking left to read.  

God’s reply is coming.

I wonder about what keeps Job going.
What is his living water?

His fountain?   

No comments:

Post a Comment