Monday, February 27, 2017

I AM!

We join Israel.
God’s people.
They are living out their days in Egypt
Several generations after Joseph ruled.
The whole Israelite clan settled in Goshen.
They have thrived!!
And Egypt has become afraid of Israel’s numbers.
God’s promise of blessing come true!
And pharaoh puts the people to work
Into hard labor
Into slavery.
And in spit of the oppression
Israel continues to thrive!

This is the context into which Moses is born.
Of all the references to water in God’s story,
Isn’t the name Moses marvelous?
Pharaoh’s daughter names this little Hebrew slave child Moses:
Because “I drew him out of the water.”

Then in 12 or 23 verses Moses grows up, kills a man, runs away, meets a girl, gets married and has a son and names him Gershom, which means ‘I have become an alien in a foreign land”. 
And of all things he becomes a shepherd like David
And he is called from tending sheep
To leading God’s people.  

God calls Moses like a prophet.
And by the end of Ch 4 Moses will have suggest 5 times that is probably not the best choice for this vocation.

Sounds like my story sometimes.  

But we get one of the greatest equipping stories of the Bible here.

“Just tell them ‘I AM’ sent you!” 
The LORD, the God of your fathers-
The God of Abraham
The God of Isaac
And the God of Jacob.

This is my name.
Forever!
The name by which
I am to be remembered
From generation to generation.” Ch 3: 14 , 15

He has heard his people cry
And longs to bring them back to the land flowing with Milk and Honey.

God is not only calling is people out…
He longs to call them back to himself. 

I love that part of the story.
I see you!
I hear you!

I’m on my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment