Genesis 25 to 30-something
I do love this story of Israel.
Maybe I already said that.
We read about how Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob walked with
God.
How God led them.
Sustained them
And protected them.
I love reading about how God always provides.
This time reading through the Old Testament I’m really aware of how we are watching God at work as He is building His Nation, His People.
We know these names, and these stories with the benefit
of looking back, with all the rich historical context of the entire Bible. We
get to watch God’s Promise of blessing unfold, fully aware of the bumps in the
road, the potholes, and the wrong turns.
These early followers of God,
Digging wells,
Building altars
Tending sheep
Travelling for food
And ultimately finding the women who would carry the
lineage.
Each man fully committed to following God
Committed to covenant
Set apart
Claiming this God to be their God.
But it doesn’t always go well
Each man
Blessed to the point of the envy of his neighbour
Through Godly living
Becoming a stench in a godless land.
And yet this is Canaan
Fruitful and lush
Where the treasured possession of God
Are called to live
And settle
And have roots.
Be in the world
But not of it.
This is God at work.
God proving Himself faithful.
I will be your God
And you will be my people.
And that sounds entirely familiar.
PS I love the moment where Jacob and Esau meet. “But Esau ran to meet Jacob and embraced him;
he threw his arms around his neck and kissed him. And they wept.” I love that. Like they let all their by-gones be
by-gones.
No comments:
Post a Comment