Friday, February 10, 2017

Job: Take 1

Job 1, 2, & 3

The book of Job is full of talking.
In heaven.
In God’s throne room.

On earth.
On an ash-heap.


Ultimately the story of Job is about what it looks like when a man suffers.
And listening to what everyone has to say about it.
About God and human suffering.
And I find that kind of intimidating.

But we get to be a proverbial fly on the wall.

I find it kind of interesting
This little glimpse into the throne room of heaven
Where God’s righteous people \are the topic of everyday discussion.

In Chapter 1 we meet Job,
This very wealthy man,
An apple of God’s eye.
He loses everything
And still falls down in worship and praise. 

In Chapter 3 he comes very close to cursing God
But not quite.
He writes so beautifully about his pain.
I love it that his friends came and sat with him.
With his potsherd.
They just sat.
For 7 days and 7 nights.
And they didn’t have to say a word.

God sustains him in his turmoil
But he does not feel at peace. 

There’s a whole lot of How?  and Why?
for which there aren’t answers,
but I’m not sure those are always the questions.

I think it takes a lot to process such catastrophe.
But Job walks his talk.
“Shall we accept good from God and not trouble?”

I do know that wherever we are
and whatever we go through
that God promises to go with us.

I’m not sure I could be so stoic.
I’m not sure I would rant and rave either.

But I do know that a handful of you would come and sit with me.
On the compost pile. 

And you wouldn’t have to say a word.  

No comments:

Post a Comment