Thursday, February 2, 2017

An Unhurried Reading Moment

Gen 21
That moment when Abraham sends Hagar and Ishmael away.
Sometimes the reading is so much about your mindset when you open God’s Word, and pick up your pencil and paper….and what it’s like when you put it down again.
An unhurried reading moment? 
That makes you stop and think. 
Like kicking up a pebble as you walk, and booting it along as you keep going.

I hope I’m always listening.
I don’t want to miss anything.  

That moment when Abraham packs a bag for Hagar and Ishmael and puts in on her shoulders breaks my heart a little.  He is obeying Sarah’s wish to send this hand maid and son away.   Social convention of the day made it illegal for a servant’s child to be sent away arbitrarily (NIV Study notes)

But God said he should listen to Sarah. 
And he obeyed God.

This prompt obedience to God.
It feels like that Isaac moment on the mountain altar. 
That’s right around the corner. 

God asks Abraham to do hard thigs. 
And he unflinchingly does them.
Although we don’t get to see the battle in his heart or in his mind. 
Maybe he can do them because God promises to continue blessing Hagar and Ishmael and their offspring in the same breath. 

And there she goes again.
Into the wilderness.
Where she sobbed and ran dry.

And God sees her
And sends a word to her.
And calls her by name. 
“What’s the matter, Hagar?
Don’t be afraid!”

I see you!
And I hear you!

And then He opened her eyes
To the nearby water.  


No comments:

Post a Comment