Exodus 32 & 33
There are some really beautiful story pieces in these two
chapters, but there are some really sad ones too. To me.
Moses was up on Mt Sinai with God for forty days and the
Israelites so casually refer to Moses as “this fellow who brought us up out of
Egypt” (ch 32:1) As if this was all Moses’ idea. I feel for Moses that there was not more
appreciation for him. Leadership can be
like that.
Forty days of absence was long enough for them to forget
about him.
It was a long enough pause for them to become impatient
with the lack of forward movement in their deliverance and rescue. Hence the golden calf incident under Aaron’s
interim leadership.
God alerts Moses that there is rebellion and anarchy at
the base of the mountain and the saddest moment to me is where God disowns His
Beloved People. He is so angry and calls
them “your people” (ch32:7) and wants to destroy them. And Moses goes to bat for Israel. He begs and pleads for God to relent,
reminding God of His Covenant and the Promises to make these a-numerous-as-the-stars
kind of people.
Moses rallied the troops.
Actually!
Ch 32:26,27 & 28 “So he stood at the entrance to the
camp and said,
"Whoever is for the LORD, come to me."
And all the Levites rallied to him.
Then he said to them,
"This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says:
'Each man strap a
sword to his side.
Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the
other,
each killing his brother and friend and neighbor.'"
And that day 3,000 people died.
And because of their zeal the Levites were set apart
to be caretaker of the tabernacle and priest’s helpers.
Holy warriors.
I didn’t realize this is how they landed that role!
I may have missed that story for most of my life.
But there are more sad bits.
At the beginning of Ch 33
God says “Go!’
“Leave!”
You and your people!
Go to the land I promised on oath
Go to the land flowing with milk and honey
But I will not go with you
Because you are so stubborn
And I might destroy you on the way.
And the people just broke down
And started to mourn.
One the most poignant moments for me follows
When Moses went back into the Tent of Meeting
Where the LORD would speak with Moses face to face
As a man speaks with his friend.
This is not just “some fellow”
Moses was a friend of God
Enjoying and experiencing deep friendship.
And did you catch glimpses of Joshua in these stories?
This understated role of guardianship
Over sacred moments
Cursory glimpses of this quiet commitment to Moses
On the mountain and over by the entrance to the Tent of
Meeting
This little room where God and Moses sit down.
And I love the story in Ch 33:12 to 22
I just want to type all the words here.
That moment when Moses
“If your Presence does not go with us, do not send us up
from here”
That just gets me.
That Moses would rather stay there in the dessert with
God, than go forward to the land of milk and honey without God. He would be lost without God. Moses knows that the confidence of the people
lies with him because God is leading through him. And without God’s Presence on their journey, without
His Blessing and without His Name, they are just another group of people. Really not that special. Average.
I love the moment where God takes Moses and tenderly
places him I the cleft of the rock. And covers him til He passes by. Could you imagine that moment?
No comments:
Post a Comment