Monday, March 20, 2017

Offerings & Things

Leviticus 1 to 4

I find it interesting that in Leviticus the laws and procedures for the rest of Israel’s worship life are prescribed and laid out.  This is long term thinking. I love that.  Life after the dessert.

Where Exodus dealt with and gave directions for building the tabernacle, Leviticus gives the laws and rules and regulations for worship. All this came down from God’s mouth during the year Israel as encamped at Mt Sinai.  This did not just happen in a long weekend. 

These first chapters deal with a lot of finicky details.  
First and foremost, these chapters deal with the 5 main types of offerings that Israel is make. 
Offerings.  
Acceptable sacrifices and voluntary gifts.
The burnt offering, grain offering, fellowship offering, sin offering and guilt offering. 

In all the descriptions,
I hear the words
“an offering made by fire,
An aroma pleasing to the LORD.”

I’m reminded of how we bring our fragrance to the world.
I’m reminded of how hard that can sometimes be,
And how naturally that sometimes happens.  

I love hearing the echoes
And the foreshadowing
of where this Story is ultimately going.

Of the New Testament
And of Jesus giving Himself
As a fragrant offering

And when we are imitators of God
Dearly loved children of God
We too will live a life of love

Characterized by this aroma (Eph 5:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment