Leviticus 15 to 18
There are bits and pieces
and multiple thoughts in these chapters.
Sometimes it hops and skips like that.
Mostly when I read the infectious disease and discharge
sections, I get itchy and little nauseous.
But it brings the story down to a real, organic, and earthy level. Yum. These were just regular people, with regular
bodies, and routines, in some unusual nomadic circumstances. But other than that, not so different from
you and from me.
I appreciate that about this story.
The very act of spitting on someone takes on a whole new
meaning. Being spit on could make you ceremonially unclean and make you unfit
for worship. It’s amazing that one small
act could be so offensive and so laden with meaning. I really get it now. When
I read it, I feel like there is so much letter to the law, and I wonder how it
translates to the spirit of the law. It’s
easy to see how to follow all the rules with your mind, and not let it settle
into your heart.
Ch 15:31 sums up God’s reason for all these rules and
regulations:
“You must keep the Israelites
Separate from things
That make them unclean
So they will not die in their uncleanness
Defiling my dwelling place
With is among them.”
Consecration.
Cleanness and uncleanness
affected their worship and how they lived as
community.
And once a year Atonement was made for the whole
people.
On the 10th day of the 7th
month.
A whole lot of blood shedding.
Ch 17:11 talks about the blood shedding
“for the life of the creature is in the blood.
It is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life.”
Jesus’ Blood.
My heart His dwelling place.
That really gets me today.
Chapter 18 has lots of interesting “interpersonal”
instructions.
But I love the NIV study notes about the first few
verses.
I don’t have to paraphrase what they say so succinctly.
Ch 18:1 to 5
“The Lord said to Moses,
2“Speak to the Israelites and say to them:
‘I am the Lord your God.
3You must not do as they do in Egypt,
where you used to live,
and you must not do as they do in the land of Canaan,
where I am bringing you. Do not follow their practices.
4You must obey my laws
and be careful to follow my decrees.
I am the Lord your God.
5Keep my decrees and laws,
for the person who
obeys them
will LIVE by them.
I am the Lord.”
Notes: “Here God’s people are given instructions
concerning interpersonal relations and a mortality reflecting God’s
holiness. Israel was thereby prepared
for a life different from the Canaanites, whose life-style was deplorably immoral.”
Chapter 18 concludes with the result of immoral
living. Where if you defile the land….it
will vomit you out. This is ever so
vivid. Is it not?
And the notes on verse 5…. I love this part about the
word “LIVE”….
“…With God’s full blessing.
The law
was the way of life
for the redeemed
not
a way of salvation
for the lost. “
Those kinds of notes change the whole reading context for
me.
Following God’s Way
And reading This Story
is for living life
in the here and now, today.
And the following of all the rules
That is only a piece of it
But not the whole.
That part won’t save you.
No comments:
Post a Comment