Numbers 1 & 2
The English name of this book is based on the census
lists we find in these early chapters.
Census taken to determine the number of men of military age. But the Hebrew title is “bemidbar”, which
means “in the desert”. This seems just
as fitting, since Numbers follows the 38 years of Israel’s desert wanderings
from Mt Sinai to the plains of Moab, on the border of Canaan. “From here to there”, as Bill Hybels is fond
of saying.
Yesterday I thought about how Promised Land Living might
differ from Kingdom Living. How what we
see and hear and learn about God and His relationship with people in the Old
Testament bears on our lives today…on us as a Post Resurrection people, living
God’s Kingdom already come, alive and present.
I didn’t come up with an answer.
But this lingers.
Numbers begins 13 months after the Exodus.
We see a number total.
Israel has grown from a mere 70 that entered Goshen to
force of over 600,000 fighting men. The
math indicates that a population of 2,000,000 people sprung up during the 400
years Israel lived in Egypt. God’s
faithfulness to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
Numbers has really different themes from Exodus.
Even in these first few chapters we see order being
established in the camp, from counting all the covenant people, to where they
would camp in relation to the tabernacle and how they were to break camp and march
out.
Military precision.
Military preparation, because the milk and honey of
Promised Land is not going to be poured into Israel's lap. It's going to take some conquering. I'm not
sure that is what they expected. And
that's a big part of the Numbers story and drama.
In Exodus the theme was holiness and Numbers touches on
God’s wrath against His disobedient people.
So I love this story of God and His People. I love how it raises questions and how it
provides answers somewhere along the way.
And I love that this continues to be a story of journey.
I love that you're coming along!
No comments:
Post a Comment